Recently Played

Recently Played
Open Modal
On Air
Mon - Fri: 12:00 AM - 11:00 AM & 02:00 PM - 12:00 PM Sat - Sun: 12:00 AM - 12:00 PM

One woman dead, five others injured in shooting at Portland, Oregon park

One woman was killed and five others injured during a shooting Saturday night in Portland. The Portland Police Bureau said that the woman was dead when officers arrived just after 8 p.m. at the scene near Normandale Park, a frequent hub for protests against racism and police killings. The wounded victims, two men and three women, were transported to hospitals. Authorities have not released information about their conditions and have not identified a suspect or those shot.

On Sunday, police said they believe the incident “started with a confrontation between an armed homeowner and armed protesters.” Officials have not publicly discussed a potential motive, saying the investigation is “very complicated,” and adding that witnesses were unwilling to talk to responding officers.  Department spokesperson Lt. Nathan Sheppard would not say whether police had made any arrests in connection to the shooting, telling reporters at a virtual briefing on Sunday afternoon that “things are changing constantly in this investigation. As we learn more, things change. At this point, it would be irresponsible of me to comment on arrests that were made, if any.”

According to information on social media, protesters were set to gather in the park at 7 p.m. Saturday, seeking to highlight the cases of Amir Locke, a 22-year-old Black man who was shot and killed by a Minneapolis police officer earlier this month during a no-knock raid, and Patrick Kimmons, a 27-year-old Black man killed by Portland police during a 2018 altercation.  An initial statement from Portland police said that homicide detectives were investigating the scene and that the Oregon State Medical Examiner would determine the cause and manner of the victim’s death.

In a statement. Portland police said the scene of the shooting “was extremely chaotic, and a number of witnesses were uncooperative with responding officers. Most people on scene left without talking to police. Detectives believe a large number of people either witnessed what happened, or recorded the incident as it unfolded. This is a very complicated incident, and investigators are trying to put this puzzle together without having all the pieces.”

Editorial credit: MISHELLA /

Recommended Posts